A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mini Mystery Anyone?

Why do I feel like many of my posts this year start with: "I had a plan..."?

Maybe I should stop planning altogether.



But I know that's just not possible - it's not in my nature.  The best thing to do in situations like this is to be flexible & nimble & adjust the plan. 

Thanksgiving was a lovely day spent with the DH and the fur babies. Black Friday involved some fun shopping, as well as the release of the first clue of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt . Saturday was supposed to include a morning riding session, followed by some Mystery sewing, possibly extending into Sunday - a day around the house, helping some friends, a lunch out and maybe even the beginning of the Winter holiday decorating.

On the way to the barn, I got an urgent phone call from my friends P&T that while they were already at the barn, they would not be able to ride and had to head home.  The 'helping some friends' part of Sunday needed to be moved up to Saturday morning, pronto.  P&T had just listed their house for sale on Friday, thinking we would have Sunday to do some moving (5 dogs, all their stuff and P) over to another friend's house and some final tidying, prior to any house showings and for the duration.  Instead, we had 3 hours!

I am happy to say we made the deadline! It was a whirlwind but on the upside it meant Sunday could be happily spent at home, with the Mystery sewing on the agenda.

Until I realized that my laptop anti-virus was expiring, and the options I was given & price, was not acceptable. Sunday morning turned into an errand / shopping adventure that consumed most of the day. 

Okay! So Mystery sewing would be shifted to Monday, the day of the first On Ringo Lake Mystery Link Up - check out what everyone else has been up to. My shifting schedule is not ideal but there is no pressure to get this quilt racing along - just do it at your own pace.

Seriously? What was I thinking. Monday ended with a trip to my Orthopedic Surgeon and a cortisone shot in my left elbow to deal with the tendonitis that has been plaguing me for the last month. All that painting took it's toll.

By Sunday, I had begun to have second thoughts about doing a full size quilt and cutting into all the beautiful batik bolt ends I had gathered.  That fabric needs to be for the Michigan House bedroom quilt and I was a little uneasy about using it for the mystery pattern. Or maybe the thought of a full size quilt after the busy past week was too much to face. Either way, I changed my plan - I have plenty of fabric in the stash in my colors to do a Miniature Mystery. If I like the end pattern for the Michigan quilt, I can always do it again in full size. 
Miniature Mystery Quilt Fabric Pull
This week has not been going great for sewing either - the cortisone shot is extremely painful and has basically knocked out the use of my left arm for a few days. Today is a necessary, post 50 yr. old adult medical test - enough said.  By this Friday, when the next Mystery clue releases, I may get a chance to start working on it  but I'm not carving that plan in stone. Fingers crossed!




5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a crazy week! By miniature mystery, do you mean smaller scale or fewer blocks? I tend to only make half of the units before the reveal. At that time, I usually decide that a smaller quilt it the way to go, anyway. Too many other projects to be made!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the units in half scale, as well as fewer blocks overall.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon after all that!

    I contemplated doing a miniature version. And then I saw the first clue and realised I would have problems with accuracy on pieces half that size. So I abandoned that plan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too!! I'm a baby-size quilter [I live in an RV], so I was thinking of a 1/4 size: instead of 50 9-patches, 12.
    Looking forward to your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete