A View of My Quilt Life

Thursday, April 16, 2015


My version of Spring Break is way different than what most people think when they hear those words. 

No beaches, no tropical location, no umbrella drinks... well, maybe an umbrella drink.  And this is as close as I will be getting tropical flowers.

Not really tropical but a sure sign that Spring is finally here. 

My Spring Break begins at 4:00 pm today and my bags are already packed.  This weekend is the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison, WI.  

I'll only be attending two of the three days but they will be packed full of clinics, breed barn visits, 4-H tack sale and shopping!  

While I'm away, there won't be any blog posts happening. But I'll meet you back here next week for Phase 2 of my Spring Break.  Hope you have a great weekend!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Introducing... 'Anyway the Wind Blows'

I usually come up with a working title for my quilt projects fairly early on in the process.  The Sauder Village Triple Windmill Challenge project never really got there.  I was tossing around a few name ideas but none of them 'stuck'.

This quilt waited until it was done before it assumed a name.

Late Saturday, I finished up the machine quilting and started out Sunday morning with the binding. 

I am very happy to call this one a FINISH!!

Introducing my entry for the Sauder Village Triple Windmill Challenge...
"Anyway the Wind Blows"

I will be the first to admit this is NOT the vision I had for this quilt for a long time.  It took on it's own direction and style.  I had envisioned a landscape scene drawing on top of the piecing .  Didn't happen but then again, you can't plan everything, all the time. I am happy with the finish and will be sending it off next week.  

The Sauder Village Quilt Show is April 30-May 5.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Chores and Quilting Progress

DH has been itching to get the garage whipped into shape.  Clearing out clutter and better organizing our belongings will give him a work bench to start his woodworking.  Here he is

heading out to get to work on the garage - can you tell how much he likes his picture taken?

We'll need to shift around a large set of drawers that I've had for years (they were originally in my parents' flower shop) - it will give him a perfect workbench.  

Of course, this is the exact same set of drawers he was all for getting rid of just a few months ago. Luckily, I put my foot down and forbade such a drastic action. 

Spring activities are ramping up, filling up weekend days, so some time must be set aside and dedicated to the garage project.  It absolutely must get done so Sweet Man has a place for his craft.  Given how much he supports my quilt passion, I can do no less for him!  

Even if it means I have to give up some of my studio time -   The end result will long lasting organization, fewer 'things' to keep track of and freedom from clutter!  Fortunately, DH understands that this is no one-day, wonder project and that no more than a couple hours at a time can be spent standing on concrete.  

So, I managed to still have studio time 

and the Triple Windmill challenge quilt was back under the needle. Progress is being made!!!  

Just a bit more and it will be binding time.

Friday, April 10, 2015

Different Kind of Wind

Last evening just before 8:00 pm, I was in the Studio machine quilting on the triple windmill project when I heard sirens in the distance.

As it turned out, they were not our tornado warning sirens but those of a neighboring area.  I immediately shut down, unplugged the machine and headed upstairs to see what was going on.  Very strong, damaging storms were moving across northwestern Illinois and up through southeastern Wisconsin, with rain, hail, high winds and two confirmed tornadoes touching down in Illinois.

We are safe and sound.  

It was scary to watch the progression of the storms on weather radar and tv, given the wide swath and re-firing of the storm cells due to unstable air. Unfortunately, one person has died and 8 are reported injured, so far.  More damage assessment will made in the light of today.

Needless to say, I never made it back to the Studio.  

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Quilting the Wind

The machine quilting has commenced on the Sauder Village Triple Windmill Challenge quilt.

I'm going slow, making decisions as I go and definitely not rushing the thought process. 

My favorite part so far is the violet blocks.  The one on the left has simple dividing lines quilted through the 'blades' of the windmill.  

Really simple but I think it adds just the right depth to the block design. More stitching on this tomorrow.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Winds of Change

Are blowing around here.

This was the top of the Triple Windmill challenge when you last saw it.

It the picture, you can see the difference between the dark blue corners and the black I used to frame the blocks.  In real life, not so much! 

The black is not super dark and rich so it dulled the whole top. Some un-sewing happened.  And then the auditioning began.

I excluded the oyster and went with the light grey.

It gives the top a completely different look. 

I'll use the charcoal grey for the binding. I think. That decision can wait until the machine quilting is done. For now, I need to concentrate on the quilting. 

Good thing I got it all layered and ready to go - no going back now.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

You've Heard of Chain Piecing...

But I thought I would try something a little different 

Chain Quilting!

This is a fun little quick project I needed to get done and I wanted to make sure the quilting laid extra flat, with no fabric ripples from going in opposite directions.

These are horse leg wraps that match the saddle pad I made for the spring fun show next weekend. 

Hope we have a bright & sunny day for it, but if not my pony gear will make up for it.