A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, July 20, 2018

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling

I'm trying to be better about getting back into the regular blogging schedule.  My goal this week was to post on Tuesday & Thursday.  If you tuned into your reading list or came directly to my blog, you noticed a new post was not, well, posted. 

Life was pretty intensely, roller coaster-y this week, with some awesome news.  

On Tuesday, I interviewed at a company (let's call them BHI) I worked for back in 2014, as a contractor.  Fast forward, and I was interviewing again for a contract position there, though in a much different department.  The goal was to get in the door, wow them, pray the position goes permanent and have it offered to me. The interview schedule was from 2:30 until 4:30 pm.  I didn't leave there until 6:00 pm. Obviously, I hit it off with the 3 principals. 

On Wednesday, I interviewed for a full time position at a well respected company (let's call them WK) in a industry in which I have no previous experience. Not that it matters, as my skills are transferable and I would be working for 4 principals, whom I connected fairly well with during the meetings. 

Oh, and on Tuesday, I also had a phone screening interview for a different & full time permanent position at BHI.  ARGH!!  While I passed the phone screen, I knew that there was a chance these face to face interviews would come after I received an offer from either of the two above opportunities. 

It's amazing to me that while I've been job hunting/applying like crazy to everything that remotely interested me, nothing, nothing, nothing and then BAM!!  I'm a hot commodity. Go Figure!

Here's the kicker this week and where the wheels came off the truck.  Just about literally!  I embarked for the Wednesday meetings, happily listening to an audio book, rolling in my beloved Element. 

For exactly 30 seconds. 

There was a cluuunnkkkk, then a metallic scraaaaaaaaappppe, and then no power steering, though I had power.
CRAP!!!!

I manhandled the truck thru a turn around, called DH to bring his keys down so I could commandeer his van, and told him to call the boys (our beloved mechanics) to come tow the Element. 
R.I.P. Beloved Honda Element
I called the shop before the interviews started but they hadn't had a chance to even crack open the hood yet. okay. By the time I finished the meetings, they had news for me. 

Not good news.

The water pump exploded.

Decision time! Yes, I knew the Element was getting up there at 14 years old. Yes, I knew that 275,899 miles was a good long time. Yes, I knew I'd eventually have to find a replacement vehicle.  I just chose not to face that reality until I was absolutely had to face it.

Well folks, things got real in a hurry! I could no longer put off what I knew was going to be really, really painful. The worst part is that Honda has not re-released the Element so I couldn't just run down to the Honda dealer & pick one in a color I liked. 
That meant I had to hunker down & research makes & models in one evening, in order to start the test drive & shopping yesterday. We have activities this weekend in 2 different directions & 1 vehicle wasn't going to cut it.  And renting a car for a week while I decided was just going to dent the budget unnecessarily. Can we say crunch time?

I borrowed DH's van, leaving him at home so I could traverse the dealers, sorting out facts from emotions.  Yeah - good thing I was alone.  The vehicle that was at the top of my possibilities crashed to the bottom once I experienced it first hand.  The stretch vehicle ended up staying beyond my grasp. 

The vehicle I swore I didn't want, is now residing in our driveway. 
Never even test drove it  - it's the same as DH's, one year newer and in a prettier color.  I'm back up running and ready to roll on down the road. And just in time!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, busy week! Glad you got the car problem sorted out. We are all crossing our paws, claws and hoofs around here for a top dollar job offer to come your way. Enjoy your new wheels. Squishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the job hunt! I hope you end up with something that interests you and pays well. And leaves enough time for all the rest of your activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete