A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Let's Do the Time Warp!

I promised you I had a lot to blog about but it's not going to be chronological order! We are going to jump around like nobody's business.
Why?
Well, why not!
Let's jump back to June 2nd when I left you with a teaser on the next round of my Unity quilt - Pinwheel Stars!

I used both navy & cream for the background pieces, which created an entirely unexpected secondary pattern. Not what I was expecting but hey, what the heck, let's roll with it. I sure as heck wasn't remaking all the stars and I didn't have enough cream to even consider that option. The cream fabric shortage is the reason I used the navy in the first place.
So okay, onward!
Make a bunch of them. Lay them out. See what you have.
So, do  you see the stars or the secondary pattern that's emerging? Let's make all of them & lay all of them out.
Now the stars seem to become the background and the background pieces emerge as the design. Interesting. 
Okay - now attach them to something and see what happens.
Two sides on. And then the other two sides. I like the way this round looks like a rope twist.
I like it even better with the narrow border added to frame the Pinwheel Star blocks.
The original design had a round that was only applied to the two ends, turning the design into a rectangle quilt instead of a square.  Spoiler Alert - I didn't do that. I kept the my quilt layout a square.
Next time - The final round. 

3 comments:

  1. That worked really well, Cherry! It is an intriguing border that makes you look more closely and wonder, "How did she do that?" Well I know how you did it because of this post, but if I had seen that in a quilt show I would have to stop and have a good look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEW cool!!! I actually like the fact that you kept your quilt square. That way it doesn't matter which way is up! :o))

    ReplyDelete