A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Monday, September 25, 2017

September Crossroad

While Odie was a welcome addition and a distraction for the first few weeks of this month, his arrival didn't stop the inevitable march of time towards last Friday, the 22nd.

I'm at a new crossroad. 

Back in June, right after Father's Day, my entire department at work was informed of how a companywide initiative would effect us. Over the course of the next 18 months, the company will reduce their presence in our state to nothing at all.  Our team would be one of the first to face the decision - relocate to the East Coast or take the severance package.

While I did enjoy my visit out there last Fall, relocating there is an entirely different proposition. The area is congested, very expensive and subject to cold, snowy winters.  The opportunity with the company was interesting, challenging and with additional room for growth.

A giant chart was made, along with a huge pro/con list. Discussions with DH were numerous. Different scenarios, living arrangements, research topics were the stuff of my days and evenings.

In the end, the relocation was out of the picture - not going to work for DH & I.  As it turned out, not one of my 8 team members took the relocation package. So, on Friday, after collecting all the equipment and badges, out processing everyone, and turning over everything to IT and security, I was the last person on the team to walk out the door.  It was bittersweet and a relief.

Now, it's time to move forward - not sure which direction the path will lead.  


2 comments:

  1. Ummm, wow! I had no clue that your job situation was headed for such big changes. Sorry you decided not to move to the east but I can understand some of your reasons. Hugs and squishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible decision to have to make! All the best for finding your new path.

    ReplyDelete