A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Thursday, February 15, 2018

New Mini Finish!

I had thought I would do an aqua binding on the mini Mystery Quilt.

And then I thought again! Sometimes I wish I could just leave well enough alone and not always have this urge to make everything "better".  I know it's part of my DNA, but come on already! 

Anyway... the aqua binding became an aqua binding with a dark blue flange. 

There was some wrestling to get the navy flange placed properly and while it's not perfect, it got stitched down so I could move on.  I always love the trimming off part of the quilting process.  There's just something so satisfying about getting to this point - all nice and clean edges.

I should have trimmed the batting a 1/8 inch past the flange edge to give me a better line to follow for attaching the binding. It would have lined up with the stitching guide on the bed of the workhorse.  As it was, I had to eyeball the  path down the center of the right toe of the presser foot - harder than it had to be!

I think the dark blue flange gives a good, contrasting visual stop for the cream and coral.


The size of this mini meant the binding hand stitched down in a jiffy. The label is already attached, though not completed as it still needs a name!



8 comments:

  1. Lovely work as always! The colors remind me of a Caribbean island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I was on a Caribbean island right about now!

      Delete
  2. Love the flange! It works beautifully - so much more impact than a plain aqua binding would have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love my dark blue in my quilts!

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! Love your version of Ringo... flange is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular (near) finish!! I'm confused by all those ends sticking out of the binding. I always do continuous binding, including a faux piped binding for certain projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and Thanks!
      I don't do continuous bindings on all my quilts. particularly the minis. The binding is too small to risk the potential aggravation of a seam in the binding hitting a corner of the quilt. I can do mitered corners but sometimes don't feel like wrestling with them. And it also depends on the amount of fabric I have for binding.

      You just gave an idea for a blog post to show how I do some of my bindings.

      Delete
  5. I don't have words to explain its beauty but still i say MARVELOUS. It is a complete package of colors and art.

    ReplyDelete