A View of My Quilt Life

Friday, July 8, 2016

The Lion King Project

Way back in February (February?!), I introduced the Cherrywood Lion King Challenge.  It had a deadline of July 1st, which I made by a whopping 2 hours and 17 minutes.

My finished piece is different from what I had originally imagined it to be.  It came down to 'Get something done already!'  A much needed dose of sewing discipline for myself.

In the end, my inspiration came from the Lion King logo itself (nope, no huge stretch of any creative imagination here).  I had a printed 4 inch square picture to work from and the finished piece needed to be 20 inches square.  I didn't have time to have the picture blown up to actual size so I gridded off the small picture and the full size drawing page, and free-handed the image. 


Since the face was to be done in fused raw edge applique, I had to reverse the drawing and transfer it to the back of the fusing material.


I chose a few browns to add to the challenge golds. Here is the back of the applique piece.


And here it is all cut out as one piece - it looks like a pile of strings.


Much better once it's laid out and ironed down. 



First I outline quilted with black thread then used a medium tan, lightly variegated thread for the rest of the quilting. I finished it off with some simple borders and here is "The Night King"

Waiting to hear if it is good enough to make the cut of the finalists - should be announced by this weekend.


2 comments:

  1. Fascinating process, turning that "pile of strings" into a noble beast. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete