A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Monday, October 16, 2017

Serious Rainfall Saturday

Okay, so I can be oblivious at times.  I knew it was going to rain on Saturday. I watched the weather forecast. I saw the radar images.

But I failed to comprehend just how heavy this rain was going to be.  From Saturday morning to Sunday morning, we got 5 inches of rain! 

So, I'm sure you are thinking - So What? You were warm & dry, quilting away and sipping tea, right?

Yeah, not so much. Although, that was the original plan.

I got a text alert reminding me that it was time to leave (RIGHT NOW!) to go meet other dog people.  What?  A little fast digging revealed an AKC puppy match taking place about 75 miles away.  The problem was, I was not showered, dressed and ready to go at the time I needed to leave. ACK!!

I jumped up, dashed around, grabbed the puppy and headed out - into the rainstorm.  Destination - the middle of the area that ended up getting 7+ inches of rain. We arrived 30 minutes after they started but since they hadn't finished our group yet, we were allowed to enter.

I scribbled the info on the entry form, dashed back out into the rain, grabbed Odie and some dog treats and dashed back to into the community center and right into the show ring.

Odie was wild!  Not unexpected, given he had no time to absorb the surroundings or adjust to the sensory overload of over 25 other dogs.  He had the best time ever!!  He loved everyone there. He zoomed around the ring, showing absolutely no style and control.  I laughed, the judge laughed and the audience laughed!  I'm quite sure most of them thought I had never done this before. I have but usually with puppies more than 3 days over the minimum age requirement and some show ring training under their collar.
Looking good, standing in the yard on Sunday.
I just wanted it to be a positive experience for Odie, to meet other dogs and other dog people.  The key to a good Shar-Pei is socialization! Doesn't matter if it's a family pet, a therapy dog, or a show dog. This is a guardian breed that needs to be exposed to everything under the sun at an early age to be accepting of any perceived threat. Odie already knows the vet office as a place to get lots of yummy treats and special attention.

As a bonus, we brought home his first dog show ribbons. 
Group 3 (out of 3 puppies)!
It was a thoroughly long day, lots of driving - some with slow speeds and limited visibility, dashing in and out of rain, getting soaked, and finally getting home to a pile of dog treats and a cuppa. 

The stitching waited until Sunday.






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Odie had a fun time, meeting lots of new people and dogs. The ribbon is a sweet bonus, and you don't have to mention that there were only 3 puppies in the group!

    ReplyDelete