A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Back to (Blue) Square One

We last we were together, the blue squares were laid out on the floor, waiting to become something:


Each quadrant was picked up, piled up together for sub-cutting and laid back out.


And right about here, things got tricky! I have a confession - I don't do Sudoku puzzles. Yet here I was trying to use the basic tenets of them to make a quilt - everything needed to add up! And of course, my own need for logical color progression HAD to be achieved. The sub-cutting of the quadrant gave me 9 blocks, with 9 pieces in each.  After much swapping around of the pieces, and a little hard cider to boot, I finally had a plan to follow!

The problem I encountered in figuring out the swap order was that I was thinking in horizontal rows

instead of diagonal sections,

which was the way the colors are laid out.  Once I wrapped my head around that concept, it made much more sense.  Once I had the first quadrant pieces swapped around, I made a chart to follow for the rest of the quilt.

The stitching could finally get under way!  I have to admit it was weird to work backwards on this quilt - usually I have a layout plan before I cut pieces. It's good to shake things up a bit sometimes!





2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that I found this post . . . I have the same fabrics and want to make our daughter a quilt from them for Christmas. Thanks for all the different layouts. You are inspiring me:)
    Happy quilting!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete