A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Monday, December 4, 2017

Mystery Quilt Mini Kickoff

Sewing Happened!!!!
My studio reached a level of tidiness that permitted me to sit & sew.  I been clearing out some things that I no longer want or need and reorganizing things in general. While digging into the stash, I decided the fabrics I pulled for my mini version of the Bonnie Hunter On Ringo Lake mystery quilt  needed some tweaking.  My blue was too close to the aqua family in value, when something darker was clearly needed.  The fabric palette went from this:

to this:

Better level of contrast achieved and the cutting commenced! 

For my miniature version of the Mystery Quilt, I am reducing the scale of the units, as well as making few units overall.  This requires a bit of Quilt Math and really good notes!  Besides saving a pdf version of each clue, I plot out directions on graph paper, with a small pencil drawing of the unit for that clue. I note the conversion from the original size instructions to the mini size side by side, so I can refer back & double check my math, then triple check it. No way am I going to try to keep all the measurements in my head. 

It was very relaxing to finally sit down in front of a featherweight and stitch! By Sunday morning, I had completed all of Clue 1 units and a third of Clue 2 units. Check out this week's link up and everyone's progress on their mystery quilts right here .


I will be knocking out the rest of the flying geese units and moving on to some other back burnered projects this week.



6 comments:

  1. Those look great! My first visit to your blog...so this link-up business works. GRIN. I'm at IslandTimeQuilting.blogspot.com (although linking through my Instagram).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I would SEW do this with you, but... quilt math and I don't get along very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, going mini with this quilt! And on a featherweight too --- in true Bonnie style. This will be real interesting sailing "On Ringo Lake"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I am not that brave! I am loving your tiny units though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your teeny units look super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I love miniature quilts!

    ReplyDelete