A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

New Year = New Eyes!

 Seriously - I have new eyes! 

It started last summer when I noticed my eyes straining and getting while machine quilting and working. I called my eye doctor in August to get an appointment for an overdue annual checkup. Due to Covid-19 precautions, limited appointments and a backlog of patients to see, the earliest I could get in was October.   

Practicing my free motion quilting skills in September and early October really showed me how much my eyesight had changed. Yikes!

Imagine how shocked I was when sitting in the exam chair and the doctor said she could not get my sight corrected to 20/20 with a prescription change. I was certain that's all I needed.

Nope - I needed surgery to remove cataracts from both eyes! Well, okay then! I am a little on the young side for cataracts and they may well have been caused by the chemo I had. Either way - time to get these taken care of!

Fast forward to December. My right eye was done on Dec. 3rd and my left eye on Dec. 22nd. For the first time since I was 11, I can see without glasses!!  I opted to get both eyes corrected for distance so I need readers for computer work & reading. No big deal - there are a TON of really cute readers out there waiting for me to buy them. I am embracing the new shopping opportunity. 

While we won't know my exact new correction needed until later this month, I have been cleared to resume some of my normal activities - like riding!!  I had two weeks vacation in December and couldn't ride once, so I'm really grateful to be at this point in my recovery. 

Moral of the Story: See your eye care professional & get your annual eye checkups. 

2021 - the year of clear vision!



4 comments:

  1. had both of mine done a couple of years ago, great to be able to see

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! And thanks for the timely reminder - I have had messages from the optometrist reminding me I am overdue for a check, but haven't done anything about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this must be amazing for you. A shock about the cataracts, I'm sure! But fixable; what a relief. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't imagine what a shock that must have been! I need an eye appointment, but haven't been brave enough to risk it.

    ReplyDelete