A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, January 29, 2021

Small Celebration!

A celebration happened last night over a piece of triple berry pie with whipped cream - YUM!! It was nice to finally kick back and have time to type this post. 

On Monday, Cherrywood Fabrics announced the Finalists for the Diana Challenge. I was THRILLED to have the only quilt that I finished in 2020 on the list! The deadline for entries was 11:59 pm CST on December 31, 2020. I put the last stitch in the binding at 4:00 pm CST! 

We all know I tend to work best (?) under a deadline and this was no different. I almost didn't even do this project but as I looked back at a year of projects, with no quilt finishes. On Sunday, December 27th, this is what I had.

Yep - that's it. A cartoon drawing. And a traced copy of it, which I promptly cut into a pile a weirdly shaped paper bits with a piece code on each one. The paper bits were subdivisions of each petal. What I failed to do was transfer the subdivision lines to the master drawing. Or the piece code to the cut fabric pieces.  ARGH! It became more of a puzzle to put together than it needed to be. Oh, and I also didn't do a full color drawing to check color placement. NOT one of my finest design moments! LOL!

Like any good quilter, you Just. Keep. Going. 

It helped that I was off work so I could work thru the project. The colors for the challenge were 3 shades of pink, with white as the neutral. White? White. As in, you need to use it & keep it pristine. That, in and of itself, was a challenge. 


I'm happy with how it turned out. The center jewel has a layer of thick-ish, firm sew in interfacing and no batting. The rest of the rose has two layers of batting to add extra dimension, while the corners only have one layer of batting. 

There is minimal quilting on this piece. I'm good with that. It's a finish and by the time this post posts, the quilt will be on it's way to Minnesota for judging. Being a Finalist is prize enough for me.



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Very happy news, indeed, and a very stunning piece! I'm guessing it will do quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a lovely rose quilt! Your work is always beautiful I know your entry will do well! Break a leg, um a needle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is stunning! Congratulations on being a finalist.

    ReplyDelete