A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Mystery Quilt Fabric Pull

Bonnie Hunter releases the first clue for her annual Mystery Quilt this Friday.  I have participated in this for the last several years, as a way of releasing creative control.  Find all the info on the Mystery here at On Ringo Lake Mystery 

Preparation begins with the quilt colors - these are Bonnie's chosen colors for this project.



I like the coral/melon & aqua/turquoise but will be switching out the brown to blue. 

Why, you ask?

Back in April, while down in Paducah at Quilt Week, I made a special purchase.  This wall hanging is made by the Tentmakers of Cairo, an example of the Egyptian applique work they do. It's new permanent home is in the bedroom I use at the Michigan House. 

The previous wall décor left something to be desired.  This painting is way too dark & drab for me.

By the time the Mystery Quilt is over, I will have a suitable quilt in the same colors as the wall hanging.  As far as fabric is concerned, I hit the jackpot!  Yes, I should have shopped my stash and I still may add to my pull for it. BUT, and there's always a BUT.  I ran into a great deal on batik bolt ends. 
A little color distortion due to lighting
Twenty-three and a quarter yards @ $8.00/yard. All washed & ready for pressing once the clue is released. 
Colors are even richer in real life.
It will be good to get something back under the needle again! I do have some shopping to do on Friday morning to take advantage of the Black Friday deals. Thankfully, it's at a local saddle shop - not at a major retailer or mall!!  One stop shopping & I'm back in the studio stitching.


1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your Tentmakers piece! I saw them once in Melbourne, but by the time I got there, everything I might have afforded was already sold. It was still amazing to see them at work.
    I think making the new mystery in the same colours for that room is a beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete