A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Distracted Quilting

Friends shouldn't let friends quilt distracted. Ever.

First, some background.
I've been lacking quilting mojo lately but I'm determined to make the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt again this year.  A fellow quilt blogger from down under, Vireya, (waving "HI") challenged me to get a few units of each of the first four clues done by the time this week's link up went live on Monday. I met (virtually, that is) Vireya 5 years ago via the link up for the BH mystery quilt Celtic Solstice (2013).  It was so neat to make a connection across the globe, share our stitching progress and see a lovely bright splash of Australian summer flowers on her Blog during our cold winter season.

I figured I would to get something accomplished for the link up, though most likely not all the units done.  My stitching time was limited this past weekend, as DH & I made our annual trek down to Chicago for the Christkindlmarket on Sunday. When I finally did grab some time in the Studio, I started with Clue #1 - four patches. 

How hard could that be? 

Right!  Harder than necessary, it turns out. LOL!! I ended up with 4 patch rectangles!  This is what happens when I try to quilt distracted by sixteen bazillion things on my mind.  Apparently, quilt math was beyond my capabilities for this step. I've done mini size versions of the mystery quilts before so I know how to do the figuring, but my brain was obviously NOT on the task at hand!
Friends don't let friends quilt distracted!

The good news?  I can trim them down to the correct size and shape.
The bad news? I've wasted some fabric and will need to make a few more strip set to reach my total. 
The even better news?  I did get Clue#4 totally completed! 

Okay, so I opted to cut solid rectangles rather than string pieces them in miniature size. But at least  they're the correct size.  Let's hope Clue#2 & #3 go better than Clue#1 started. Stop back next week or follow along to see what new trouble I get into in my Studio.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Not so much for the rectangluar 4-patches maybe (which actually look quite cute), but for making a start. Starting is half the battle, as they say.

    The market trip sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Good luck in making some of each clue; that's what I'm doing too, and I don't think I'm the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your mini BH Mystery quilts... LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete