A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Christmas Day Stitching

The DH & I had our big Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve this year which left Christmas afternoon all clear for some quality time in my Studio. I had finished Clues #1, 2 & 4 for the Bonnie Hunter Good Fortune mystery.  That meant I could focus on Clue 3 & 5 to get all caught up. 

First up were the half chevrons & bonus HSTs. The method I used left a very scant seam allowance.  While I worked, I have some old Quilt Cam episodes I had missed, playing on the laptop and then onto the TV.

Much less than a quarter inch.  

I had a moment's pause but remembered this is a mini quilt that will not be wash & used like a bed quilt so this will do fine.  Not pressed, so they appear wonky but they're not, but they are done! 

Here are the turquoise units next to the blue HSTs to show the difference in the colors.

Next - the 3 triangle in a square units. By this time in the day, I was feeling very relaxed, in part due a lovely large Mexicali coffee and Bailey's, so relaxed that quilt math was not my strong suite.  Weird but this is the second time during this quilt that I had an issue with mini-sizing the unit construction.  Seems to me that time away from my Studio has NOT been good for me in more ways than one! I smartly made a test unit - the one on the left - the coral & neutral side was too small!
And then made another test unit - the one on the right - the coral & neutral side was too big! Third time was a charm!  
I went back to Bonnie's blog to re-read the instructions and confirmed where I made my math mistake. ARGH!! It was really a case of not paying close enough attention. I moved on to piecing all the units correctly. DONE!   

And I am officially all caught up on making my units for my mini mystery quilt! Tomorrow will be pressing, pressing, pressing.  Click  HERE to see what quilters around the world are up to with their versions of the Good Fortune Mystery Quilt.
I have to say being back on the Studio yesterday was a great feeling.  I felt the lack of quilting motivation lessening while I sat at Wild Cherry and pushed fabric under the needle. I'm not back to full speed ahead but it did feel better creating something. 



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being all caught up!

    I had my own quilt maths fail on this last clue, not related to size but number of pieces. Got confused somewhere about half the units facing one way and half the other, and only made half the required number (but half of them faced in each direction, so I got that part right)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easy getting confused with the clues because we don't know where we are going. I jot down a summary as I read including which way to press seams.
    It has been a fun ride so far, being caught up is a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie's Mysteries are always fun! My issue mainly stems from the fact I insist on doing them miniature sized, so math is required. This year I'm dealing with a lot of other things so my brain doesn't want to *have* to think. :)

      Delete
  3. I like your turqoise blocs, great idea to switch the green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually change Bonnie's colors to fit my stash.

      Delete
  4. I too am worried about the scant seam. I'm afraid on the stretch it will pull out. So I decided to sew it on the tiny stitch that you use when paper piecing. Hope that works. Soon we'll know how the quilt is going to look. I like your chosen colors. Quilt on!

    ReplyDelete