A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Santa Came Early This Year!

Santa Claus came a little early this year with one of my Christmas gifts. Probably because it took up quite a bit of room in his sleigh.

I was out and about one Saturday morning early in November, doing some errands and having some me time. I decided to check out an estate sale. Nothing there. Then I got a wild idea to head up to the Restore - Habitat for Humanity shop.  Just to look around. I mean, what could it hurt - I was just unwinding from a busy week. 

And then I found these!

Oh, my stars! These are HON steel lateral filing cabinets, in really great used condition, clean, with smooth action - with no price on them.  I tried to contain my excitement while the associate found the manager to price them, hoping she would be gentle, but fair with her marking pen. 

$30 each! $30 each! $60 for the pair! OMG!!! And to top it off, they were offering 20% off everything in the store for veterans, as it was Veterans Day weekend. $48 for the pair! And buying them helps support a good cause. 

The DH had had a bad night, with quite a bit of pain and was safely ensconced on his couch, trying to get some rest.  This was worth getting him up & out to the store. In the meantime, I literally sat on the cabinets until the very nice associate put SOLD tags on both of them. It took a while for the DH to get there, and get them loaded and home but they are mine!  

For my Studio. 

For my Stash.  

Several years ago I bought plastic carts with drawers that fit under my cutting table. And they worked for a while. But plastic is not sturdy enough to withstand time, the weight of all that fabric and constant use & abuse until they looked like this. 



The new cabinets fit under the cutting table, placed back to back. 

The whole stash fits in their four drawers! Previously, it took four of the old plastic carts, 12 drawers plus four other drawers. 

Loving the new clean look of these cabinets! I told DH that they are part of my Christmas gifts from him.  Their acquisition has kickstarted a cleaning and reorganization of the Studio - something that is long overdue around here. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great find! So neat and they will last forever.

    Have you had any time between organising to get a couple of mystery units made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET deal!!! Looks great in your studio, too.

    ReplyDelete