So, like a minute ago it was June.
Now, a little more than half of July is gone & I have projects that absolutely need to get finished. I've been doing the machine quilting on the Phoenix Rising quilt in stages. After hopefully fixing the issues I created by not overstitching the edges of the phoenix before layering, I was able to get on with the quilting.
I did some rays going in towards the bird from the corners of the setting triangles.
And some simple subdividing angles on the flying geese. The stepped piano key border created the perfect opportunity to go old school and quilt what looks like string art.
I took the picture before I stitched it out so the pattern is visible. I'm using black thread on black fabric, of course. I also did outline stitching around the sun appliques. The plan is to add some stitching on top of the applique parts, too. Then I need to figure out how to quilt the piano keys and do it quick!
After all the quilting & binding gets done, I'm planning on some accent painting on the phoenix, to add a little more dimensional detail.