A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Belated Happy Veterans Day, and Braids - Borders and Binding!

Happy Veterans Day!


Yes, I am late with my good wishes but I have a good reason - I spent the day with my DH, a disabled vet!  We had a lovely day, taking advantage of a few restaurants offering meal deals and doing some low key shopping for house things.  It was great to see vets of all kinds out & about!

The French Braid Quilt:
This is where I left off on my last post -



Borders on and waiting for quilting. I decided to run four lines of straight quilting, butterscotch thread, along the length of the border stripes.  It was quick, simple and added just enough dimension to the borders.

Time to bind -


After considerable deliberation, I went with the dark green/gold metallic print for the binding.  It narrowly edged out the dark blue fabric. I attached the binding to the front with machine stitching, turned it to the back & hand stitched the binding down.  

How long does it take to stitch down 300 inches of binding??

Two hours!!  

I had the DH time me and that included re-threading numerous times and 1 bathroom break :)

Presenting... the French Braid Quilt!

French Braid - 70" x 80"
It's already been tape rollered clean, packed and shipped via two day air UPS to Indiana - it should arrive sometime today.  Just in time for the school benefit auction on Friday.

Made it with 2 days to spare. Yikes! That was cutting it too close.

2 comments: