Friday dawned sunny & bright. I had a whole day stretching before me with nothing besides quilting planned. What a wonderful treat! Okay, to be totally honest, I did have to run to town for a few more groceries - a grand total of a half hour trip. So other than that, the rest of the day was mine.
First up - yet another tracing of the Phoenix. This time it needed to be done in stages to correctly draft the pieces that had other pieces laying on top.
This is the LAST time I had to draw any bit of this bird - for which I was grateful!
After that, scissor time! I ended up with this:
Isn't that a lovely pile of paper spaghetti? Technically, I now had to draw around each paper piece on the back of the fused fabric - but that was the LAST time I had to draw any bit of this bird.
I was so into the zone, I missed taking some shots of the progression - fusing the fabric, drawing the pieces, cutting them all out & working out their placement. I can tell you it took almost all day to get through these steps.
By evening, I had this:
And right after I had fused everything I noticed the problem with a feather placement - 1 feather was not where it should have been. There is no way to unfuse, so I had to patch over a bit & cover the mistake.
That & some thread work should minimize the error. I can live with that. The alternative would be to redo the entire phoenix and potentially have more issues. Nope - I'm good and pleased.
This block needs to have setting triangles added as Part One (February) instructions. Parts Two - Four (March - May) will need some thought and design work but nothing as complicated as this. At least, I hope so! One never knows where things like this end up.