A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Back to the Sewing Machine - at last!!!

I can breathe and the coughing has mostly subsided.  More importantly, my sewing machine is back all better!!  A few weeks ago, after having been cleaned & tuned up, my workhorse Singer was all wacky - right before a free motion quilting class.  I've been avoiding the issue since then and had dual perfect excuses of having a nasty head cold and the Summer Stripe quilt layout blocking me. 
 
ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
 
I sat down with just the orange blocks, rethreaded the machine, took a deep breath and started.
 
After several attempts of joining blocks, adjusting the bobbin tension, un-sewing blocks, and repeating the process, I got it done!   The machine is up, running and the stitch is where is belongs - in the middle of the fabric. And this is what I have to show for it.
Summer Sunset center 22.5" x 22.5"
Since the orange was distracting me in the Summer Stripes layout by not playing nice with the other colors, I separated it from the others. It needs borders of some sort and is destined to be a free motion quilting practice quilt. 
 
As Martha pointed out in her comment to the last post that maybe these blocks need to go in the closet to percolate for a bit, that may very well where they end up.  In the meantime, I have a few other things to focus on designing while the silks hang out waiting for me.
Coco-Berry charms and background

Teal braid
The bottom group is destined for a donation quilt - I'm thinking a French Braid style quilt in a large lap size. Seeing the picture I think it needs another deep dark to make it pop, cause right now it's a little blah. Hmmm - back to the stash and this is what came out.
Teal braid with 2 darks added
Time to swatch them, assign colored pencils and hit the graph paper.  And I need to practice some more free motion quilting to get the DWR quilting finished.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment