Using a printout of my computer aided layout, I scrambled around on the floor until I had this.
ICK!!! Some of the darks are mediums and some of the mediums are light and the oranges are really strong even in their light blocks so now what??
I picked everything up off the floor, sat back, took a deep breath and tried to figure all this out, by making a pro/con list.
What I didn't like was easy: Not enough true darks and lights. Too many mediums in this. I was going for scrappy and this is more crappy. The list goes on and on.
For the harder part - what I liked. I liked the interplay within a given color. HMMMM.... Maybe I was going about this all wrong. Maybe the small blocks needed to be bigger blocks of the same color and then I could figure out a layout of the bigger blocks of color - more like the original inspiration quilt., which I decided I could do 'better'. Apparently not. So, I started playing within the colors, laying out 9 patches.
I'm liking these better. Let's see where this leads. It better lead somewhere quick cause I'm ready to see this come together. Maybe a narrow black sashing between the blocks to pop the color. Time to sit down and sew and stop thinking so much and let the fabric lead me.
On another front, I have the silk color matched to color pencils so I can start sketching. Not sure if I want traditional or contemporary on this one. We'll have to ponder that a bit.