I'm a bit stuck and it's all because of the Summer Strip quilt.
I had to pull he blocks off the design wall and move the wall cause I was feeling creatively blocked and claustrophobic in the sewing area. The design wall is portable and helpful and black - which cuts into the natural light in the room. Which has been next to nothing lately as the weather is grey, grey, and more grey. YUCK!! But they're still just blocks and they need to be a quilt top and soon. I refuse to put them away. I have a good amount of time invested in them and before the blocks get wonky, the project needs to move forward. And hopefully, unblock the creative flow.
Since the design wall was too small to lay out all 224 blocks, I moved to the living room floor. Here are the IN blocks laid out.
As of today, I have not sewn two blocks together nor decided on a layout, I have identified the roadblocks as I see them.
1. The general layout I have on paper is for 221 blocks. I have 224 blocks made so that shouldn't be an issue right? WRONG. There are 2 types of blocks - ins and outs. I need 121 of one kind and 100 of the other. I have 112 of each type. So...
2. I either need to make 9 more of one kind or
3. I need to figure out a layout using 112 ins and 112 outs. And...
4. I need to get over the 'total control' issue I seem to have manufactured over the color progression and think scrappy, using value as my guide.
It's back to the drawing board, or more accurately, the graph paper for me. I gathered up all the blocks and sorted my type (in or out), by color and by value and noted the quantity of each. This will enable me to plan the new layout. I'm thinking of doing it on the computer so I can move the blocks around without crawling on my hands and knees.
I'm hoping the time spent on Summer Stripes will allow the quilting for the DWR to magically plan itself in my subconscious. I have high hopes...we'll see.