A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Whirlwind Road Trip!

The weatherman took rain out of last Saturday's forecast, 

our friend's dog didn't need to be watched, 


the Michigan house is open for the year, there was a quilt show going on,

 and I got a wild hair idea.  Sweet Man has the patience of a saint when circumstances like these collide. Before you could blink, my bags were packed, routes were planned & I was off like a rocket...straight into Friday night traffic on the expressway!

Even though I've entered the Challenge category for the past 4 years, I've never had a chance to attend the show until this year.  I'm so glad I made the trip - it was very inspiring!!  So many gorgeous works of art of all shapes, sizes and techniques.  It was a blast - 564 miles, 27 1/2 hours, 4 states.

To see the winner of each category click this link - 2014 Sauder Quilt Show winners.   The entries in the Challenge category were amazing  - there were a total of 21 unique quilts. After seeing all of them, I was stunned that I received a second place ribbon.



Part of the trip was disappointing - Spring is way, way, way late!  Almost all of the farm fields are still sporting last year's stubble. One farmer was out, first now spreading manure on an untilled field. The ground is still too cold to start the planting process. Most trees are just budding - very few leaves to be seen.  I was hoping to see some more green.  And some white flowers on the Michigan dogwood would have been nice.  

Patience is not my strong suit!







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts, glad you made the trip. Congratulations on your well deserved win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic to have the chance to see the show, and see your own quilt hanging there with its ribbon! And thanks for the link to the winners page, it was lovely to see even the small photos of so many wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete