A View of My Quilt Life

Friday, June 27, 2014

Daring Downton Debacle Challenge Quilt Update

It's a TOP!!

Finally - my Daring Downton Debacle Challenge has been pieced into a top and a back!  WooHoo!!

I took the unused fat quarters from the collection bundle I purchased and together with the leftovers from the front, I pieced a back. I couldn't bear to cut into the cream fabric with Highclere Castle on it; it will be where I write my label information.  It's random, patched and somehow perfect in it's counterpoint from the front.




Yes, I know I have extra fabric in the second row just hanging off the right side.  I'll worry about that after I get it machine quilted. That's when the decision about whether it will be finished with a narrow black border or just black binding. Just not quite sure yet - the quilt will tell me what it needs.

I was able to get outside between the raindrops and snap these pictures


...with some special help.


Thanks, Drake!
A close up shot




Technically, the top is not finished until I add the required applique to one of the rows.  Or in my case, since I duplicated that row - I have to add applique to two rows so there is balance.  I'm thinking pieces of the floral fabric (circles or ovals) in the middle of the cream squares of rows 2 & 4.  I may just carry the applique out onto the border, right over the seam between the blue and green, easing that transition.

My goal would be to get this layered this coming weekend and start the machine quilting on it - in what pattern I have NO clue!  We'll have to wait & see how much I accomplish. Hope you all have a great weekend!





1 comment:

  1. Love it!

    I'm glad Drake was there to help out with the photography, after he was so helpful in developing the Dog-o-Matic Foundation Paper Removal process for you.

    ReplyDelete