A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, June 13, 2014

Delay of Game!

While trying to catch up on some long overdue blog following, I also needed to check upcoming challenge deadlines so I could map out a plan of sewing attack.  Imagine my surprise (and delight) to find the deadline for the Modern Quilt Guild Michael Miller Challenge has moved from June 23rd to July 25th!  WooHoo!!!  As usual, I still don’t have a design plan but I now have an extra month to come up with something.  Okay – that’s not exactly true – I do have an idea floating around in my pointy little head but it’s not on paper and it’s a long way from a cut list and sewing plan! 

Michael Miller Challenge fabrics and coordinates

 In the meantime, I am working on the sashing and border design for the DDD challenge quilt.  Here are all rows hanging next to each other. 

Kind of cool the secondary pattern that forms from the little corner triangles.  BUT that’s not how the quilt will be put together.  There will be sashing and borders.  Now according to the guidelines, the sashing and borders only need to be made from Downton Abbey fabric. You know – plain strips, so wide, join together to make the length you need, blah, blah, blah.


I am NOT knocking that – some quilts need plain stop borders and some quilters would happily follow the challenge guidelines and have Perfectly Lovely Quilts!  I can’t do it.  Oh why, Oh why must I always have to do things differently??  It makes me crazy.  But all along, in the deep recesses of my addled brain, I saw black flanges outlining the rows.  CRAP!!  Skinny, little, perfectly straight black flanges – like eyeliner – around the rows stopping and containing all that movement in the blocks. 


And then there’s the thought of pieced borders. But do I  really need more movement?  Not sure but I know I have to try out the different ideas running around my brain on paper at least, so that I am 100% sure how to proceed. Not saying my ideas are going to work but I have to try them to find out the hard way. 

I swear if I end up with plain sashing & borders, I’m going to scream!  Sometimes there is just no living with myself – the logical half or the creative half!

Stay tuned for the next installment of “As the Quilt Turns…”  


No comments:

Post a Comment