A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Transformation of a Great Lady

I was at the Michigan House this past weekend where one of my projects was to clean and oil the 1933 Singer 15-91 ( in the No. 47 cabinet with knee controller) that lives there.

A few before pictures:

Waiting for a good cleaning - dull, obscured decals

Grungy motor and side plate

There's a scrollwork face plate under there somewhere!

Rusty wheel knob

Inside full of lint & dust. 

A few during the cleaning:

Just sprayed with Tuff Stuff

Tuff Stuff doing its thing

The grunge lifting from the machine

Tuff Stuff dripping off machine, turning brown as the grunge lifts off surface

ICK!!!  These rags went straight into the garbage!

I didn't take any pictures of the oiling and inside cleaning process.  Suffice to say, my tweezers and Q-Tips got quite a work out.  

And, at long last, the after pictures. 
Presenting ... LIL!!!

Look at her decals now!

Now that's a faceplate!

Shiny and oiled

The side plate is so shiny its reflecting the flash

Un-Rusty wheel knob

LOVE the detail.

It really didn't take all that long & it was so worth it to see this beautiful Great Lady glowing.  

Yes, she runs and even though I gave her parts a good oiling, I need to figure out how to get her into the service man for a good internal going over.  I also need to track down some more Singer oil and motor lube!

1 comment:

  1. She looks good as new! She must be happy to have all that gunk removed.

    ReplyDelete