A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, January 15, 2016

The Training Wheels are Off!

Last Friday, I celebrated my three month Chemo-versary. That is, I am three months past the day of my last Chemo treatment. I've done every thing since then to put it in the past, though the fatigue and neuropathy are still hanging on and they will for awhile. That's just the way things are right now.

I returned to the barn & riding on October 31st. All of my rides since then have been on Rudy - a steady Welsh Pony/ Arabian cross mare.  


I referred to her as my 'training wheels' rides. Being out of the saddle since April, I needed time to get my seat back.  The neuropathy would occasionally have my legs going completely numb and painful in the middle of a ride.

While the neuropathy is not gone,  my seat has come back enough for me to take off my equine training wheels. On Saturday, our trainer J, put me back on Stormy, a Morgan/Thoroughbred gelding!  


He is my favorite horse at the barn and will be my dedicated Dressage ride when we get back to that.  It was AWESOME!!!  I had an amazing energy high for the rest of the day.  Stormy inherited very little from his Thoroughbred daddy, certainly not any outward appearance characteristics and definitely not size. 
Stormy & Me - December 2014
He is short, stocky and hairy in his winter coat right now.  I like riding through his little quirks; he has a funny, stubborn side - just like me.  Looking forward to my 2016 riding adventures.

Today, this Friday, I have an appointment with my Oncologist. Can't wait to show how far I've come since my last appointment and share some of my plans for the new year.

2 comments:

  1. Freedom to Ride! Very happy for you, enjoy each and every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! 2016 is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete