A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Quilter's Version of 'Shelter in Place' Order

Most States are under some version of a Shelter In Place order, as it's called in Illinois, to help battle the spread of the Coronavirus. Ours is in effect until April 7th, though it most likely will be extended. Further, my company has issued a Work From Home directive to those who are able to do so, which was recently extended to May 1st. I fully expect that to be extended until June 1st, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Working from home has some advantages, though certainly so one is thrilled with the reason why. For me, it eliminates the 2+ hours I spend driving back & forth to the office. That affords me more time for activities like dog walking, cooking and of course quilting!

It's times like this I am thankful for the luxury of a good size stash. But what project to do?  I'm not wanting to have to design a quilt right now, I just want the soothing, productive action of putting fabric bits thru the machine. 

Many quilt instructors have been offering up quilt projects online to help quilters stay connected. On Monday, Bonnie Hunter revealed Step One of her "Sew-in-Place" Unity Quilt Along. It will be a medallion quilt, adding rows each week around the pieced center. Check out her blog for details on the getting Unity Introduction and the Unity Part One


My goal is to use my own colors, though I have NO idea what they will be, and shop my stash for this quilt. This project will add some direction to my quilting and hopefully re-ignite some designing passion. There are a few quilt design ideas languishing in the dusty corners of my mind. 


2 comments:

  1. I've only saved the parts so far, and haven't decided if I am going to do Unity. However the nice thing about a medallion quilt is that it is easy to stop at any time when you feel like it is big enough. I feel like I should spend my time finishing older projects, rather than starting new ones, but this is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a chance to check the stash. I plan on making the CENTER of Bonnie's QAL quilt, if nothing else. Looking forward to seeing what your stash throws at you!

    ReplyDelete