A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Beginning of a Contest Journey

I had this really cool idea.   A theme for an upcoming contest is “Flying Geese”.  OOOOO – so many things can be done with this unit… and have been.   The wonderfully, dynamic work of Caryl Bryer Fallert comes to mind.  But how am I going come up with something new & different and unique?

Well, it kind of starts if I don’t think too hard about it – just let it jiggle around in the back of my mind.  And then – BAM – all of the sudden of out the blue, when I’m not expecting it, something pops into my mind. A thread, a visual sketch in my mind’s eye, a flash of color inspiration and I’m off on a path.   I may not stay on the path; I may turn sharply in another direction; but that’s how it can start.

Not very methodical or conveniently planned!  And this is how I get into a crunch deadline, if the path doesn’t hit long before the piece is due for competition.

So I’ve been thinking randomly about flying geese. We’ve all seen quilts that use these and bend them and twist them and use all sizes of them.  But I want to back to the triangle shape. No, further back than that – to the outline of the shape, and take it from there. That brings me to line – the beginning of design.

And that leads to the vague sketch I have so far. I’m thinking bright batiks – citrus colors maybe.



It’s a line; it’s a squiggle; its flying geese!



As you can see it’s very vague. I’m okay with that – I have time for this one. It’s not due until November 2016!  Which means it can percolate all it wants to for the next year. Then it’s time to get down to business.  Or it very well may decide it needs to be made sooner than that. I’ll let you know.




No comments:

Post a Comment