A View of My Quilt Life

Monday, August 3, 2015

Shrinking a Quilt

On purpose and by adding borders!

HA - sounds like a joke but that's exactly what happened. 

Here's where we left off:


I didn't like the way the corners seem to overwhelm the center and I had the strange side gaps that I needed to figure out what to do with. I tried a test layout using the large 12 inch blocks and discovered that measurements are off enough for me to add another inch and a half stop border between the center section and the pieced borders. Cool!

Still hated the wide borders.  Inspiration hit! I folded the blocks in half and decided that would be perfect.  
The catch?  
I needed to make sure I had enough blocks to do this:

I DID!! I need 44 blocks to make it all the way around and I have them! WooHoo!!

The drawback to this design change:
Un-Sewing was in my future.

From this


To this.

But it wasn't as bad as I thought. I kicked back in the recliner, put on a mindless TV show, sipped a cuppa and snipped like crazy. Next steps - adding blue stop border, then pieced border, maybe another blue outside border and then blue binding! Good thing I bought 2 yards of that medium blue batik.  The new design reduces the rough size from 84 inches square to about 72-75 inches square, depending on the final border decision.  I like this size better!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I actually wondered about doing that when you first showed the potential layout. Should have said something then!

    ReplyDelete