A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Check This Out - It's Turned Wrong!

Last evening, instead of doing any hand quilting (I machine quilted a good portion of the afternoon) I finally got a chance to check out some of the other 91 Celtic Solstice quilt links on Bonnie Hunter's mystery link up finale for this quilt adventure.  I haven't worked my way all the way through them yet and we have several more days for people to link up. Grab a cuppa and check out the quilty eye candy.

I just have to share this...

On Sunday when I was finishing up the quilting on my Caribbean Solstice center, down to the last corner of 4 blocks, I found this
See it? Right there in front of my needle.
ACK!!! A unit turned the wrong way. You have got to be kidding me?  How did I not see this before?? What's a quilter to do???

Well, this quilter CAN'T leave it this way. I. Just. Can't. I am grateful I found it before it was quilted in and I promptly started to rip it out - before I thought about it too much and changed my mind. Yes, it's kind of a pain to redo a completely surrounded piece but I know my eyes would immediately look for that mistake every time I looked at the quilt. 

Unit ripped out, turned, and ready to go back in
Lesson: Double and Triple Check all units & blocks BEFORE you sew them into sections and quilts! And then be prepared to rip it if it's wrong anyway.

On the home front, snow is expected starting late this afternoon and tomorrow, so shopping and errand running will be done today before anymore quilting happens. This week is a prime example of how this winter has been going - 2 days of snow, 2 days of very cold, 2 days of snow, 2 days of very cold...lather, rinse, repeat. Good for quilting, bad for people's moods. 



1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I went back to your picture of the whole quilt to see if I could see this block, but it was kind of tricky because it was right down the bottom and furthest from the camera. It was hiding from you! Lucky you found it before it turned into a major job to fix it.

    ReplyDelete