A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fabric Hunting

So remember yesterday and the unfinished blocks made from the Downton Abbey collection for the second row? 
Really need better pictures with good lighting - and soon!
Yep - that's the one - I need more of the blue floral medallion fabric to finish and I gave myself permission to go to the quilt store to buy it.  Only thing was, Pieceful Gatherings was out of stock on this one & the green floral medallion that I know I'm going to need more of too. And while they have it on order, there's no telling when it will arrive.  It appears I have  apparently designed myself into a corner, again. DRAT!! 

What to do, what to do??!! 

I let my fingers do the walking and called almost every quilt shop in a 40 mile radius, repeating my request for help with my dilemma.  Of course, I was hoping to find it local so I could get the block and rows done.  Ten quilt shops later & I found it!!  At Quilters Quest, 43 miles away but they had both fabrics! The weather was bright, sunny and 46 degrees - perfect for a a little drive for fabric shopping.  YES - we are melting here. It will take awhile before we ever see bare ground but we are starting a thaw/refreeze cycle typical of this time of year.  Today we have ice, sleet, rain and snow forecasted, so that will be interesting, which made yesterday a better day for fabric hunting.

I went, I bought, I came home & I washed. 



Oh and two other fabrics tagged along back home with me.  I swear I don't know how they ended up in my shopping bag . No, really I don't! But I bet you all do.  Just look at that batik! It's FABULOUS! 

And the violet? Well, that is Marcus Fabrics Shot-Cee (shot cotton), yarn dyed woven cotton fabric. It's only a fat quarter that I am testing out to see how it washes and dries.  I have had experience with others shot cottons so I want to see how this one stacks up.  It's a bit soft in hand and the weave didn't tighten up as much as I had hoped it would.


Now I can get the center block done for the DDD row quilt and get them all sewn together.  The silks are waiting on the cutting table...


No comments:

Post a Comment