A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Slow Start Sunday

We've been up for almost 2 hours, not moving very fast but we're up. Well, at least some of us are still awake.
 
The French Braid top is on the wall!  It's been awhile since I last made this pattern and I forget that the braids are done until the ending triangles are on. And that they are a pain. Not a huge pain but pain.  Ending triangles are bias edges. 
 
 
So I have to go slow and minimize handling, which I can do easily enough but I was in more of a mindless chain stitching mindset so I really had to pay attention.  I worked 1 braid at a time, slicing the 2 large squares in half to make the triangles right on the mat on the machine table and didn't move them. Only when I am sitting down braid end in hand did I pick up a triangle, pin in place and stitched it immediately. Then repeat on the other end, press the first two flat, return to the machine and add the other two triangles - one on each end and one at a time. TWENY-EIGHT times!

 Slow but steady & no stretched out of shape, wavy weirdness to overcome. YAY! More bias edges come into play when you trim the braids square, or square-ish.  The whole length of the braid is made up of the nasty little buggers! ACK!  But I LOVE this pattern - all about the color play.
 
The top is currently assembled in three sections (yellow lines above show breaks) so I can finish this using a quilt as you go method.  The borders are still undetermined - that should be interesting.  A quilt this big doesn't allow me to take straight on pictures of it in my sewing area and it rained all day.
 
The search for a backing never happened.  Maybe I'll get lucky today as I gather fabric for an away from home adventure.  No, not a road trip, but you'll have to come back to see how I spend my Sunday away.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment