A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Houston, We Have a Problem!

I Swear - Nothing every goes according to Plan!

See, I had a Plan. The DH liked the Plan. It was a Good Plan. And then the wheels fell off.

Here it is the middle of this week and I haven't had a washing machine since the middle of last week and I am surrounded by things that need washing.  

The DH & I went out last Sunday and bought a washer, scheduling the delivery for Wednesday, knowing that I would stay home & wait for the delivery men, while he went to his Ortho Dr. appointment alone. That was the Plan.  Which meant, had things gone along with the Plan, I would be able to systematically attack the pile of unwashed things and have them clean, folded and put away by late today.

So the very nice delivery men arrive a bit BEFORE the scheduled time. And the very nice delivery men CARRY my washer into the house - no trolley to muck things up.
And the very nice delivery men very gently set the washer down...

next to my cutting table.

No - I do not plan on relocating the laundry room to the middle of the Studio.
No - this is not a new Modern Art installation
No - this is not where it needs to be at all.

What this is is the Problem. Or more accurately, the problem is in the picture below.


Right there - the shut off valves or rather, one shut off valve and one not-going-to-ever shut off valve. The blasted thing is completely stripped, corroded and useless. And it is preventing the disconnecting of the old washer and the installing of the new washer. It is not making me a happy camper.

The DH and I have to decide if we are going to tackle this DIY project or call in a plumber.  Normally, I am all for doing it myself BUT the cold temps and water and malfunctioning shut off valves might be a tad bit above my pay grade.

DOUBLE DRAT BLAST!  I just going to have to make a cuppa, grab my thimble and get some hand quilting done while I come up with a new Plan.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a big bummer. It will be so nice to have a new washing machine. I am so thankful that my husband is a plumber. Things like this happen to us all the time, but luckily he has the tools and the skills. The trouble with plumbing, it seems that when you shut something off to fix it, something else breaks. ugh. I'm sorry. Just keep sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Hope you can get it sorted out soon.
    I had a similar problem once when the machine was delivered and wouldn't fit into the space available. I had measured across the back of the space, but it turned out that the space wasn't square, and it was narrower at the front. The machine was never going to fit without a wall being demolished. So they had to take it back and I had to look for a machine that was about a centimetre narrower!

    ReplyDelete