A View of My Life - Quilt and Other Things

Friday, January 31, 2014

Last Day of January Recap & NewFO Link Up

This month was pretty good.  I'm happy with my progress so far this year. I am participating in Barbara at Cat Patches 2014 NewFO Challenge. Click here to see everyone's new projects on  January NewFO Linky Party.


My January 2014 quilt stats:

1 Quilt finished - Hand quilted Irish Chain wall hanging for my Studio.



1 Top finished - machine pieced Bonnie Hunter 2013 Mystery Quilt Celtic Solstice. The block assembly and arrangement was announced at midnight (Eastern) on New Year's Eve.  That set off a mad rush to my sewing machine for some serious chain piecing to turn all those 3 inch units into blocks and then a top.
Caribbean Solstice


1 new quilt started. LQS (Pieceful Gathering) Daring Downton Debacle Challenge - 1st month of a 5 month project using Andover Fabrics's Downton Abbey collection - machine pieced first row completed. It's a NewFO.



1 new hand quilting project - 9 ring Double Wedding Ring wall/table top quilt. Since I didn't piece this, it is a NewFO, too. This went into the hoop after the Irish Chain came out. So far, two of the nine ring sections have been quilted, working on that third section.


1 new design on the starting block - silk dupioni in jewel tones wall hanging. Tentatively scheduled to be sent out for custom long arm quilting and entered in LQS annual show.

   


The design is just barely a rough sketch in my head and it may never be more refined than that. I'm thinking this needs to be a free form improv piece.  Possibly. Maybe. We'll see. I'm not sure. 

If you are keeping track, how did you do for January?




7 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been busy! The Irish chain is lovely - I didn't realise you had hand quilted it. I will look forward to seeing what you do with those gorgeous silks.

    Your Caribbean Solstice is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Irish Chain - my favorite! Your improv piece is off to a beautiful start. The colors are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your hand quilting! And you got your Solstice into a top - mine's still in pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! I love your Irish Chain - it is one of my all-time favorite patterns. The last one I made ended up being "The Quilt That Grew & Grew"! (100" X 120") It had a secondary pattern of a heart in it, by using 2 different fabrics in the "plain" blocks.
    The mystery quilt is stunning! Great name too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which I like better, the Solstice has such gorgeous colors, but I love the colors changing through the Irish Chain, both are really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hand quilting is such an ambitious goal...I've only done it once, and I found it to be similar to embroidery. One of these days...Beautiful work, and the Irish Chain is my favorite traditional quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were very busy this month! I have never learned how to hand quilt and admire any one who does!

    Nan Brown

    ReplyDelete